My List and Numbers of 2018Published on .
Same as the previous years, here’s a bunch of lists and numbers from the things I did in 2018.
While writing this, I’ve realised that looking back at my own Twitter feed is a perfect way to recollect lots of the my year’s highlights. And here I was thinking of using Twitter less, heh.
I visited 5 cities in 4 countries. To get there and back, I traveled by train twice, and flew ten times.
- London, England. First time visiting. It’s uttely massive, so I felt like I didn’t have the chance to see enough of it. What I did see was great.
- Berlin, Germany.
- Barcelona, Spain. Twice!
- Cartagena and
- Bogotá, Colombia. The food! <3.
- Steven Wilson @ AFAS, Amsterdam
- Hamilton @ Victorian Palace Theater, London. This is one of this year’s highlights. It was an incredible experience that I’d love to revisit.
- Arcade Fire @ AHOY, Rotterdam
- Motherwolf @ Melkweg, Amsterdam
- CHVRCHES @ Tivoli, Utrecht
- Nightwish @ Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam
I love films. Going to the movies, watching films at home. Reading about them. Learning from them. This year, I decided to get a Cinevillepass, which basically allows me to watch films unlimitedly across 50+ movie theaters in The Netherlands for a monthly subscription. It’s awesome, and it really made me go out to the movies more. I watched 25 films using the Cineville pass.
I also became a Pro member of Letterboxd, mostly to support the website and its service, as it has become my favourite place to geek out about films. And as it turns out, Pro members get a nice Stats page per year. Here’s my 2018 Stats for Films:
In total, I watched 78 films — 63 of those were films I hadn’t watched before, and the remaining 15 were rewatches. It amounted to 149 hours of movie-watching, or a bit more than 6 days.
I watched 5 of these films during a flight.
28 of these films I watched on Netflix.
My favourite film of the 2018 is Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse. I was anticipating it since I watched the first teaser halfway through the year and it absolutely blew my already-high expectations. It’s perfect.
- My runner up is Roma; as a fan of Alfonso Cuarón, this feels like his magnum opus. A technical masterpiece.
This year I stumbled upon IGDB.com, which is trying to be a mix of IMDb + Letterboxd but for gaming. I decided to use it as a way to keep track of my games.
From the moment I finished it, I had no doubt; my favourite game of 2018 is God Of War.
My favourite games of the 2018 are:
I feel like I listened to so much music, so many different stuff that it’s a bit tricky to recollect. These is what pops out as I write this, as my favourite music this year:
- Celeste OST — Rena Laine
- Happy However After — The Reign Of Kindo
- Love Is Dead — CHVRCHES
- The Now Now — Gorillaz
At this point, Love Is Dead is tied with The Now Now for my favourite album of 2018.
This year I left my job of 4.4 years, and the first one I got in The Netherlands, to join a promising and exciting scale-up to continue working and growing as a Frontend Developer in Tiqets. I decided to work 36 hours (so a day off every 2 weeks) and it’s being a bliss and I’ve learned a lot. Here’s to more of that for 2019!
I also started development of and announced Reeddit 2. Hope to release it in early 2019.
- I walked on ice! When the canals in Amsterdam froze early in the year, we got to walk on them. It was incredible, and scary!
- I bought a new Telecaster guitar which pushed me to get better at guitar playing and inspired me to learn more about music theory, specially. Hopefully I’ll make it something out of it in 2019.
- I visited Efteling, which is like a Dutch version of Disneyland, sort of. Was wonderful.
Here’s to an even better 2019.More about: end-of-year stats