New song from ToolPublished on .
This is surreal on its own; for a long time it felt like there was just not going to be new Tool music ever. But the best part is that it's only one song from their soon-to-be-released new album. Incredible.
I've listened to the new song a bunch of times today. I'm so excited, I'm just going to put my unordered thoughts around this in a list:
- In Apple Music, this track is listed as the 1st one of the new album's tracklist, with the rest just named Track 2, Track 3, etc. since their titles have not been revealed yet.
This might just be an Apple Music quirk, but it could also mean this is the album opener.
- If this is the album opener, it would mark the first time in Tool's discography that the opener is also the titular song.
- The song itself is just fantastic! It sounds exotic, introspective, and then intense and cathartic. Very progressive.
- The first half reminds me a lot of Disposition and Reflection. And Disposition is one of my favourite Tool songs.
- Actually, there's a section where I thought I was listening to Reflection, because of the drum patterns. Possibly a callback!
- Maynard's singing is phenomenal. Very emotional and dynamic performance.
- One of my favourite things about Tool is their song endings; they're so bombastic, full of energy. And here they've done it again. Powerful ending.
- It's so, so good to listen to Danny Carey's fantastic new rythms and unreal drumming. He's in such great form here.
- I had no idea they were releasing a single before the new album's release. This caught me by suprise this morning!
- The excitement and anticipation for the new album has grown immensely after today!